[ExI] selling domain name real estate

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 10:32:00 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 3, 2021 at 8:03 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Back in the olden days when the internet was taking off, some had the
> insight to buy and hold domains with their names.  Common names are
> valuable real estate today.
>

> On a camping trip recently I met the guy who owns Tom-Johnson.com.  His
> name is Tom Johnson.  A remarkable coincidence it is that he should own
> Tom-Johnson.com.  He is near retirement and would part with that name for
> some cash (the domain name (not his own name (the sale would be conditional
> upon his being able to stay Tom Johnson himself.)))
>

> I don’t know how to auction valuable domain names.  Are there internet
> hipsters among us who know from selling domain names?

I don't know what the best site is for this the best site, but there are
auctions for domains hosted by godaddy and ebay:

https://auctions.godaddy.com/
https://www.ebay.com/b/Sell-Domain/3767/bn_7023258241

This article lists 15 other sites for listing domains for sale:
https://medium.com/@daica85/top-15-places-to-sell-your-domain-names-easily-and-quickly-d2da1d695076

Perhaps the best place to advertise would be on the homepage of the domain
itself, since any stray visitors to that domain might be interested in
purchasing it.

Jason