[ExI] Protein Folding AI Is Making a ‘Once in a Generation’ Advance in Biology

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 22:14:37 UTC 2021

"Thanks to AI, we just got stunningly powerful tools to decode life.

In two back <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03819-2>-to-back
<https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2021/07/14/science.abj8754>
papers
last week, scientists at DeepMind and the University of Washington
described deep learning-based methods to solve protein folding—the last
step of executing the programming in our DNA, and a “once in a generation
advance
<https://deepmind.com/blog/article/alphafold-a-solution-to-a-50-year-old-grand-challenge-in-biology>
.”

"With the two studies, we’re entering a new world of predicting—and
subsequently engineering or changing—the building blocks of life. Dr.
Andrei Lupas, an evolutionary biologist at the Max Planck Institute for
Developmental Biology, and a CASP judge, agrees
<https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03348-4>: “This will change
medicine. It will change research,” he said. “It will change
bioengineering. It will change everything.”
https://singularityhub.com/2021/07/20/new-protein-folding-ai-just-made-a-once-in-a-generation-advance-in-biology/