[ExI] The most important personal computers in history, ranked

Bill Hibbard hibbard at wisc.edu
Sun Aug 15 17:10:42 UTC 2021

> Forty years ago this week, the iconic IBM PC made its debut, . . .
> https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/most-important-personal-computers-in-history/

That brings back memories. In 1981 I was part of a small
company, named Davis Hibbard Mayer Norton and Phillips Inc,
that developed a product based on the IBM PC to simulate
GOES weather satellite signals. Davis and Norton engineered
a custom circuit board that went into the IBM PC and I wrote
the software. The GOES signal was about 1.8 MHz which we
simulated on the PC's 4.77 MHz 8088, an 8-bit processor. It
was a tricky design problem. We ended up selling ten of our
simulators to organizations that wanted a way to test their
GOES receiving systems.