[ExI] the law

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 23:36:16 UTC 2021

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 23:48, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Ah ok, plenty of leeway.  A cop uses his judgment every day.  For years I have ridden a bicycle on the sidewalk in some places if it doesn’t have a good shoulder.  The cops see me doing it, we all know it is plenty illegal but they let it go.  I have never been stopped for that.
>
> spike

In the UK an increasing number of traffic offences are being automated
using surveillance cameras connected to central computers that use
number plate recognition to put a penalty notice letter in the post.
Speeding, parking, bus lane violations, red light jumping, unpaid tolls, etc.
If a town wants to raise a bit more cash, just install a few more
cameras. These cameras usually catch more strangers rather than
locals, so driving outside your local area can get expensive very
quickly.

BillK