[ExI] libertarian ideas ATTN: HENRY

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Tue Aug 24 02:29:08 UTC 2021

On 2021-8-23 18:05, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat wrote:
 > Not really. Why? Because the influence of religion or Christianity
 > definitely went up during that period and later went down. [ad naus]

The sentence that started this was: "Christianity [...] does not have
anywhere near the influence it had before the Renaissance."  This is NOT
the same as either "the decline in the influence of Christianity was
steepest in the Renaissance" NOR the same as "Christianity has never
been as influential since the Renaissance as it was before."  It is ONLY
a binary comparison.

Bill's proposed replacement is an even weaker claim, that the influence
has waned, which would not be literally false even if it has at other
times waxed even more.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org