[ExI] Surprise! Our Bodies Have Been Hiding a Trojan Horse for Gene Therapy

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Aug 25 16:14:17 UTC 2021

Subject: Re: [ExI] Surprise! Our Bodies Have Been Hiding a Trojan Horse for Gene Therapy

>…Spike, how many failures of the equipment needed to build that happened on the way to the success of LIGO?  Just put together from known tech, or what?   bill w

Ja, it was known tech that dictated the necessary and expensive scale of LIGO.  They knew they could build one of those for a long time.  The astronomy community debated on and on whether it was worth doing.  I am shamed to admit I was one who believed it was probably not: the event they were looking for was (I thought) too rare to bother with the search.

Having a detector that size meant they had to have a big piece of real estate.  It is cool that it landed in Livingston Louisiana, a day trip there and back from your driveway.  That detector changed my life.  Were it convenient, I would go there and worship the thing.