[ExI] infinity

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Aug 26 04:34:23 UTC 2021

..> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] infinity

>…Think four dimensional, Spike?  I could not find that in Wikipedia.  Oops, actually, I did.  My brain is too old for that kind of thinking, so I guess we can leave this topic for good.  bill w

It is a mind bender.  The big bang model makes it sound like the universe started at a point and exploded for some reason, spraying matter out into empty space, but that isn’t really what it is saying.  We aren’t inside a 3D sphere so much as we are on the three-dimensional surface of a 4 dimensional hypersphere.  For some reason, the hypersphere is expanding, which means the 3-dimensional space on the hypersurface is expanding, which is why stuff seems to be going away from us.

Note I am not claiming to understand it, but doing the math helps, just as calculus helps the physics student.