[ExI] is it real?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Aug 26 20:22:07 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
…

>…  I think they have lived up to 'Don't be Evil'…

Indeed sir?

>…but are they doing what tech people want and ordinary citizens want and need?  bill w

>…I think this is the biggest nonanswer I have ever seen…

Google isn’t in business to help people Billw.  Google is in business to make money.  This is no different from any other public company.  There is nothing wrong with that: it’s what companies are for.

>…but are they doing what tech people want and ordinary citizens want and need?  bill w

I would say no, for tech people and ordinary citizens don’t want filtered searches.

>>>…  I think they have lived up to 'Don't be Evil'…

>>Indeed sir?

>…(and please explain the "Indeed, sir?"  comment)

I see plenty of compelling evidence that Google steers people away from some kinds of searches.  Otherwise the results on Google would match more closely the results on DuckDuckGo.

The autofill feature is another example of Google trying to channel inquiry.  This is not good.

I will offer in Google’s defense that they no longer have the phrase “Don’t be evil” in their mission statement or company creed.