[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 215, Issue 40

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Aug 26 20:39:07 UTC 2021

On 26/08/2021 16:11, Spike wrote:

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] OP-ED: The billionaire space race reflects a
> colonial mindset that fails to imagine a different world
>
> >…Who exactly is there to enslave in space?
>
> If Seven Of Nine is out there, I will buy her.  Granted my bride might
> not like the notion, but she may go along with it if we buy Commander
> Riker too.
>

> >…These factors alone, not to mention the vastly increased importance
> of technical competence for survival, will make space colonies rather
> different than historical colonies…  Adrian
>
> Well said Adrian.  This article is really about conflicting models of
> the future rather than specifically about space exploration.  It is
> worth thinking about: many hold to a model which (reasonably) suggests
> that growth on this planet really isn’t forever.  At some point
> population growth must slow and stop.  We currently quarrel over how
> that happens and how many people will be here when it does, but even
> ExI people need to think about it.
>
> I picture a kind of Jetsons world where there is enough of everything
> and population growth is somehow solved.  Hope so.

Life-extension. That's how to solve population growth problems. Sounds
counter-intuitive ("won't that make things worse?"), but do the maths.
Not only will it reduce population growth, but it will encourage people
to behave more responsibly, and I have to say, even though I hate the
term, 'sustainably'.

Ben