[ExI] why the book is better

Dave S sparge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 21:23:26 UTC 2021

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 3:54 PM Hermes Trismegistus via extropy-chat <

> That’s the problem isn’t it. Much of society is hostile to people who
> speak their mind. Hostility leads to fear and paranoia which in turn leads
> to hiding and deception. Considering that violence is immortal, it seems we
> will remain only able to truly express ourselves in an anonymous manner.

Yes, it's a problem of human nature. We like to blame technology for our
own problems.

Maybe someday we'll be able to tweak human nature. Once we do that, we'll
be posthuman. And given our known flaws, how can we safely tweak human
nature? How will we evaluate the long-term effects of those tweaks? Will
they take us to the next level? Will they snuff the spark that made us what
we are?

-Dave