[ExI] mythbusters follow-on

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Dec 23 20:18:28 UTC 2021

…> On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] mythbusters follow-on

On Thu, Dec 23, 2021, 2:19 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>>…I viewed that a dozen times trying to figure out what reaction would cause that flash, and I think I have the answer…spike

>…Maybe this?

https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/question505.htm

Mike I thought that might be triboluminescence when I first looked at it.  There would be some light emitted if there are enough sugar crystals in the sprinkles, but now I don’t think that is enough energy to explain the flash easily visible at 9:23.  That looks to me like combustion taking place for a brief instance.

To figure it out, we would need to put the sprinkles, the baseball cannon inside a closed container, chemically scrub out the carbon dioxide but leave the air, then fire the ball, see if there is any carbon dioxide in the container.