[ExI] mythbusters follow-on

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Dec 23 20:35:18 UTC 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2021 11:37 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] mythbusters follow-on

On Thu, 23 Dec 2021 at 19:19, spike jones via extropy-chat <
<mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
wrote:

<snip>

> My new theory is that for the short interval of time, perhaps a coupla
microseconds, there is enough air to ignite the sugar molecules, after which
there is too much fuel and not enough air, so the combustion phase is short,
and still would be, even if we had a way to get the baseball travelling
faster than M1.5.  A faster ball would have more air in the compression
zone, so more of the sprinkles might burn, but the duration of the
combustion might be even shorter with a faster ball.

> spike

Well, you did ask ...        :)

< <https://www.newsbiscuit.com/post/well-you-did-ask>
https://www.newsbiscuit.com/post/well-you-did-ask>

BillK

Ja, the whole notion isn't particularly relevant to anything.

It brought back fond memories.  When I was in undergraduate engineering, a
new professor came who had stellar credentials: PhD from CalTech in shock
wave mechanics.  He was clearly very bright but wasn't a particularly
effective professor for undergrads.  He could see we were not impressed with
him, so he uncorked a lecture I will never forget: he started into what he
studied for his PhD thesis.  This blew our minds and changed our attitudes.
He volunteered to teach a class in compression wave mechanics, make it a
one-hour upper division elective.  Six of us took the class.  Turns out the
guy really was as brilliant as his resume, a damn good teacher when he was
on familiar ground.

We mechanical engineers got a bit of a complex because the electrical
engineering students studied Maxwell's Equations in their last year while we
went off studying mechanical properties of materials and that sorta thing.
Their equations were cooler than ours.  Until... we got to this shock wave
class.  Then the differential equations to study those things were way
cooler than anything Maxwell ever thought of.  A prole had to really have
his differential equations and the more advanced functions going for her
before she would have a chance at compression waves.

Speaking of which... those of you who are travelling this week by plane, if
you ride a B737, try to get in seat A6 or F6.  Then as you come in for a
landing, sometimes a visible standing wave will form right where that
leading edge of the engine where the intake cowl meets the main cowl, the
silver part mees the blue part in this photo:

I included this photo because it shows something I have looked for but never
seen in person: an intake vortex on a running jet engine.  It requires just
exactly the right conditions to form: hasta be close to the dew point on a
perfectly still day.