[ExI] UN worried about police brutality against protestors

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 11:50:53 UTC 2021

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 at 03:57, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat

<big snip>

> Being too lazy to think is bad enough when it happens in an individual but it gets much worse when lazy, witless moralizing results in a virtue signaling frenzy that plunges the whole world in turmoil that cost tens of trillions of dollars and millions of lives.
>
> Rafal

As I see it, the problem with Rafal's most excellent logic is that it
fails when faced with the problem of dealing with a very mixed group
of people, usually called a nation. Remember that half the population
is below average intelligence. (Just culling that section of the
population meets general disapproval and only moves the problem to a
new segment of the population). The above average intelligence segment
of the population all hold one or more weird or crazy beliefs and
argue constantly about whose beliefs are more wrong or outrageous.
(The definition of weird or crazy changes over time as well).
It is very difficult (impossible, really) to make laws or rules which
are suitable for everyone, so we end up muddling through chaos.
But as a society, we have to try.
An epidemic just makes the problems more obvious.

Of course, it doesn't help when individuals or companies take advantage of the
situation to benefit or enrich themselves at the expense of everyone else.

BillK