[ExI] ARTS - Extropian poetry

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Feb 1 15:07:57 UTC 2021

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>>…place to post Extropian essays and poems…  Ivor

>…Well right.  But Adrian, we don’t all have your talent, pal.

…spike

Ivor’s question has me thinking.  The electronic media have a reach and scope that paper books can never match because few of us collect paper books anymore.  But physical books have a big advantage that cannot be matched by the electronic medium:  you can use a book to swat some annoying blister who won’t stop bothering you.

There is a second advantage to paper books: they have a certain permanence that is difficult to match in the electronic medium.  Once a prole prints out her thoughts and binds the pages, she can put the dusty old volume on a dusty old shelf and it will still be right there years from now, with even more dust.

Question please: if someone has a fun blog filled with stuff like math curiosities, and that person is a high school student who will be applying for a college in a coupla years, is there any advantage to printing out that blog, binding the pages and presenting it as a credential to the admissions board?  Has anyone here ever heard of someone doing that?  How much does it cost to publish about 10 copies with a hard binding?