[ExI] very informative

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 00:47:59 UTC 2021

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 10:30 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 3:57 AM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>> I thought it painfully obvious that by ‘crossing a national border per se’ was meant humans crossing said border.
>>
>> Also, I thought it painfully obvious that ‘crossing a national border per se’
>> only means the act of crossing. Just like it should be painfully obvious that
>> walking per se doesn’t violate anyone’s right, but trampling someone does
>> — even though trampling is a form of walking, no?
>>
>> Let me try to be even more painfully clear here. The problem with the Huns
>> invading is not that they’re crossing a border but that they’re attacking
>> people and breaking stuff. (Anyone who believes almost all folks crossing
>> national borders, illegally or not, now is the moral equivalent of an invading
>> Hun is a fool.)
>
> ### Well, national borders, appropriately defended, help alleviate the Hun problem.
> Since maintaining a selective Hun-only border, freely permeable to all non-Huns, is
> technically challenging, the specific implementation is non-permeable to all, with
> special areas, called border-crossings, where Huns are separated from non-Huns.
> Now, if some non-Huns insist on crossing the border outside of the designated
> border-crossing, they impair our ability to keep non-Huns out and thus, by the act
> of crossing the border, infringe on our right of defense against the Huns.
>
> Isn't this obvious?

What's obvious is the analogy is strained. Migrants crossing borders
today are completely unlike invasions by the Huns. The Huns didn't
filter through to find work. They invaded en masse. Rome eventually
defeated not by implementing some form of border policy akin to what
the US has been doing for over a century (or what the Soviet Union did
back in the day), but by fielding large armies and defeating Hunnic
armies. (In much the same way, having border checkpoints in Poland
wouldn't have kept the German army from rolling across the border,
though it might hamper peaceful individuals from crossing a
politically mandated boundary. Poland could've multiplied their
efforts for interdicting peaceful people crossing that border by a ten
and the Heer would've still rolled right over it in 1939. But that
effort in the US isn't really made to engage a real army. It's all
about propping up bigotry. Mind you, that sort of bigotry isn't
confined to the US, but it should be a dark stain on the national
culture here than anywhere else. And alleged libertarians should be in
the first line of people condemning it rather than finding ways to
rationalize it.)

Regards,

Dan
  Sample my Kindle books via: