[ExI] How vulnerable is the world?

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:41:54 UTC 2021

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 at 16:18, Dave Sill via extropy-chat

> How does Bostrom know that these "black balls" exist? Sure, there are technologies capable of destroying civilizations. But technologies that unavoidably destroy all civilizations? Maybe they exist, but how could he know? How could he know that all the technologies we've deployed so far are not black balls?
>
> -Dave

Bostrom admits that he doesn't know that these "black balls" exist, but he
also says that it is unreasonable to assume that they don't. He is not
arguing that point. He wants to start a discussion about what society
should do about more powerful tech becoming available to more and more
people / nations.

BillK