[ExI] How vulnerable is the world?

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:32:47 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 9:22 AM Dave Sill via extropy-chat <

> What *can* be done? We've tried to contain nuclear technology but the
> sheer difficulty of implementation has done more to slow its adoption. If
> something inexpensive like CRISPR is a black ball, how could it be
> contained?

It can't.

The solution is to develop counter-technologies - solutions that de-black a
black ball.

Attempts at containment inevitably result in suppressing development of
these counter-technologies.  (One has to study the original tech to know
how to fight it.  Those interested in fighting it tend not to already know
the tech - and suppression stops them from learning it.)

If they happen to be timed after the destructive potential has become easy
to use but before viable counters can be developed...well, that's one way
civilization can end.

Which is why such containment measures, and the fear behind them, are the
real black ball.