[ExI] covid data

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Feb 21 19:33:46 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2021 10:40 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] covid data

>…Spike, I think you might have to retract your statement that there are enough vaccine meds around but they lack volunteers.  That is certainly not true here - Nat'l Guard was there when I got mine…  billw

Why was the National Guard there?

The local policy required two appointments to be made before the first vaccine could be poked.  This of course required that one dose had to be held in reserve.  The program is said to have underestimated the percentage of no-shows for the second appointment, resulting in having both trained personnel on hand and sufficient medications but no patient.  The program was criticized for not allowing any random person to get the unused vaccine, which resulted in its expiration and subsequently being discarded.  Damn.

The second-round no-shows should have been easy enough to foresee: apparently there is somewhere around 90% efficacy with one dose, and 95% with two.  So… it makes perfect sense on the part of the patient to just do the one-and-done: didn’t have it before, immunity an order of magnitude improved, so is there justification to bother getting another factor of two?

People being what we are, they don’t always bother to call and cancel the second appointment.

A better way: anticipate second-round no-shows and having proles line up for any remaining available, regardless of age.  Then all available resources can be utilized.