[ExI] spacex landing on boat

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jan 1 00:36:23 UTC 2021

Subject: Re: [ExI] spacex landing on boat

>…With space technology, it seems, most people assume a thing is impossible until it is done, no matter how theoretically easy it should be.

>…It seems that even a new type of nut and bolt won't be trusted to work in space until it has been demonstrated in space, even if there are literally zero applicable space-specific factors that might call into question the relevance of a ground demonstration.  (A nut and bolt doesn't care about zero gravity, radiation, or vacuum.)

That landing feet first on a boat business is all done in a 1 g environment, but ja I know what you mean.  Space is a crazy unforgiving environment: you can’t get to stuff to fix it.  So your reliability of everything has to be in the ridiculous zone.  Any one goof anywhere can wreck your whole mish.