[ExI] geezer guard

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Jan 3 16:36:00 UTC 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 6:58 AM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: RE: [ExI] geezer guard

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

>....Yes, you can buy these nowadays...

One example:   <https://senior.helite.com/en/>

BillK

COOL!

Sheesh I shoulda looked around before I posted the question.

Thanks BillK.

spike

Ok I viewed the video BillK.  This gets us most of the way there.  The most dangerous time for seniors is in the winter when the sidewalks are icy.  In those times an airbag overcoat would work.  It can have the bags pop up from below, we could even make a cap device with airbags to cushion the head in a fall.

The femoral neck is a particularly vulnerable place.  As the video shows, the natural reaction is to extend the knee to cushion a fall, but that has the knee striking first, which overstresses the femoral neck.  If that breaks in an elderly person, they are wheelchair jockeys for a long time.  Without exercise from walking, the problem snowballs.  If we had airbag boots which would inflate upwards, operated by Bluetooth command from accelerometers at the shoulders, that could pad the knees enough to protect the femoral neck.

Aside: since we have been talking about rockets landing feet first and all that cool stuff, the advances in accelerometers in the past 15 yrs made all those sexy control systems possible.  They are small, fast, cheap, reliable, oh they get us control freaks all turned on (in a good way (we have a secret website for control system porno (lots of video of Musk's thrust vector control actuators dancing about steering that rocket right down to a pinpoint landing (oh that is really a major turn-on (those controllers put the X in SpaceX.))))

We still haven't found all the cool interesting applications those little solid-state rate gyros and three-axis accelerometers enabled.  This looks like another good one.