[ExI] Atheists catch a break

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Jan 9 17:02:49 UTC 2021

On 09/01/2021 15:04, Stuart LaForge wrote:
> Here is some interesting data that might cheer up some of those on
> this list:
>
> https://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/main-factors-driving-population-growth/pf_15-04-02_ch1graphics_lifeexpectancyreligion310px/
>

> Apparently atheists have a higher life expectancy than any religion
> except for Jews. Ashkenazi Jews have been noted by medical science for
> their genetic predisposition to long life but the results for atheists
> are surprising. After all atheists have no qualms about eating pork or
> imbibing alcohol or doing drugs. I am not sure what genetic effects
> might be present there. Might it boil down to relative income?
>
> Stuart LaForge

Not sure what the statistics are on relative income for atheists vs.
god-squad, but I'd suspect that the beneficial health effects of being
able to enjoy oneself without guilt may have something to do with life
expectancy. A common theme among religious types is not being able to
relax and have fun (especially in the sexual arena) without some kind of
psychological or social backlash. Another one is the absence of anxiety
about whether or not you're going to be punished for your 'sins' after
you die (a sentence that makes no sense whatsoever, but still has power
over millions of people).

--
Ben Zaiboc