[ExI] Dr Mardy quote of the week: his own

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Mon Jan 18 20:42:54 UTC 2021

On 2021-1-18 09:43, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:
> A god who punishes those who believe in said god?
> Pascal's Wager's consequences in action.

I am reminded somehow of a story, likely one of Larry Niven's "Draco
Tavern" stories.  A human asks a member of an Elder Race what they
believe about the afterlife, and the alien says that once there was a
race that did deep study of the subject and then committed mass suicide;
because of that, "we discourage research into that field."

One human says, "That must mean there is a heaven and it's easy to get
into."  Another replies, "Or there's a hell and it's worse the longer
you wait."

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org