[ExI] west virginia leads... was: RE: Immaculate Election

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Wed Jan 20 21:48:11 UTC 2021

In support of this see:  https://theconversation.com/heres-how-scientists-are-tracking-the-genetic-evolution-of-covid-19-134201

“Based on current data, it seems as though SARS-CoV-2 mutates much more slowly than the seasonal flu. Specifically, SARS-CoV-2 seems to have a mutation rate of less than 25 mutations per year, whereas the seasonal flu has a mutation rate of almost 50 mutations per year.
Given that the SARS-CoV-2 genome is almost twice as large as the seasonal flu genome, it seems as though the seasonal flu mutates roughly four times as fast as SARS-CoV-2. The fact that the seasonal flu mutates so quickly is precisely why it is able to evade our vaccines, so the significantly slower mutation rate of SARS-CoV-2 gives us hope for the potential development of effective long-lasting vaccines against the virus.”