[ExI] Help, help, I'm being oppressed! *cry* Was: Reminder about List Behavior

Omar Rahman rahmans at me.com
Fri Jan 22 08:39:51 UTC 2021

> On 21 Jan 2021, at 16:48, extropy-chat-request at lists.extropy.org wrote:
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 15:03:36 +0000
> From: ExiMod <ExiMod at protonmail.com <mailto:ExiMod at protonmail.com>>
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>>
> Subject: [ExI] Reminder about List Behavior

> The first item on the Exi-Chat Guide is
> 1) Be polite. We do not allow personal attacks or defamatory statements on Exi-Chat.

However, if someone describes a family tradition of protein hijacking, it is perfectly acceptable to refer to them as protein hijackers in the future in a completely non-defamatory way.

> Vigorous debate must avoid name-calling.

Can you imply things and let the dumb asses pick up the label and attach it to themselves?

> Your opponents are not idiots or insane.

RANDyness, however, is basically codified sociopathy, so, if you want to avoid diagnosis as a sociopath, just start talking about how bad altruism is.

> Our list members come from diverse backgrounds, with different histories and sometimes English is not their first language. Allowance should be made for communication misunderstandings.

Agree, Yoda does! Sorry Yoda is a snowflake melt he did!

> Swearing is not forbidden,

Thank fuck for that!

> though it may hinder understanding by provoking an emotional backlash.

Sometimes, emotional backlash (assuming the subject is capable of feeling normal human emotion) is what initiates understanding. One could make an argument that the lack of emotions in an AI inhibits them from true understanding.

> Some members may live among cultures where swearing is prevalent, even daringly fashionable, but it should be minimised in written communication.

Sometimes, just sometimes, swearing and mockery is performance art and done completely intentionally.

> Regards, ExiMod

Regards,

Omar