[ExI] the science might be wrong

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Jan 22 18:50:11 UTC 2021

Subject: Re: [ExI] the science might be wrong

On 22/01/2021 00:31, Spike wrote:
> With masks in particular, data accumulates showing they don't really do
much, if anything.  We are seeing plenty of evidence in Florida, comparing
counties which require masks with those which do not.  It isn't at all clear
they help slow infection rates.

>...Well, there's masks and there's masks. The word includes everything from
a closely-fitted medical mask with a filter that is probably pretty
effective, to a flimsy piece of cloth or paper with no seal at all ...

>...Just as with statistics about deaths, statistics about masks are pretty
useless. At least as useless as the masks themselves, probably more.

--
Ben Zaiboc

Hi Ben, ja to all.  I can imagine types of masks which would work and have
used them for dusty work (cutting bricks.)  I see no one with those kinds of
masks.  I see plenty of the pretend ones, the spandex fashionable ones, and
the paper "surgical" masks which surgeons do not use for instance, never
mind the way they are often used, as a chin-bra.

I was only half in jest earlier when I comment that I refuse to wear a mask
for safety reasons.  Refusing a mask is a great people repellant, better
than Larry David's MAGA hat.  When maskless, the other proles give you more
space.  When outdoors, my logic tells me my risk drops by the square of the
distance.  Masks may give the other proles a false sense of security,
encouraging them to stand closer to each other, in the false belief that it
is safe.  It isn't safe.  Not yet anyway: there are not enough vaccinated
people.  Viruses and smaller moisture particles can pass thru spandex and
paper like a horsefly thru a border fence.

None of this claims that masks cannot be made effective.  I have no doubt
that the ones Adrian is making are effective (because I know how he does
things: right.)  But as earthlings are using masks, I suspect they are
collectively ineffective, and might be causing more harm than good because
of the false security factor.