[ExI] china malaria

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 23:42:22 UTC 2021

On Jul 1, 2021, at 2:02 PM, BillK via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 21:48, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat
>>
>> Kidding aside, how far does the average malaria-bearing mosquito travel? I’d guess they’re not like monarch butterflies. (I’m already aware that the monarch migration is generational.)

> Heh!  :)  Somebody said you're supposed to google questions like that!  ;)
> Usually less than 5 kilometres during their lifespan. But sometimes
> they can get carried hundreds of kilometres by strong winds.

I wonder what the distribution is there — a much tougher question to google. ;) I mean what’s the likelihood of a mosquito, especially a malaria- carrying one, to travel hundreds of km… and survive as a viable vector; a mosquito making that journey but ending it as a corpse probably isn’t going to matter here. Or is it?

It seems it’s ‘rare’ according to most sites for the organisms to travel farther than 5 km — with the exception of salt marsh species.

Not finding any answer to my corpse question, but that could simply be because I’m not wording it the right way. Maybe a good question for Quora.

Regards,

Dan