[ExI] read this, Henry

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Fri Jul 2 13:12:48 UTC 2021

Spike, that is not an original idea unfortunately.

Stathis,
Schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder and bipolar disorder are likely different manifestations of a single underlying condition.

This genetic research on these conditions has suggested this for sometime I believe. Twin research on “pro bands” in particular. Depression variations get implicated too.

Bill,
Differential diagnosis and inter-rater reliability are significant issues still. Use of objective measures and checklist helps with validity. The Brown ADD scale for example if used more vs a psychiatrist saying “yeah, seems like adhd to me,” will go along way towards helping with this. Adhd symptoms also have to be observed in multiple settings, and without a checklist for the teacher’s observation for example, one would only be going by parent report which is not as reliable for the multiple environments piece.