[ExI] The Magpie Whisperer

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Jun 23 13:06:48 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] The Magpie Whisperer

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 3:49 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Alternate theory: if one knows enough about something, I suppose anything can become interesting, even used tires and cod.

>…Holy mackerel.  You know how effishiently some folks tuna themselves to cod books.  Their tales have more jackknives than a school of well-red herrings, trading codpieces for codly wisdom.

>…Or maybe they're coded medical texts: what's cod spelled backward?

Adrian you are onto something there.

It isn’t clear what the heck it is, but you are onto something.

But think about it: what is up with that whole “codpiece” business?  Why would men want to stuff a piece of cod down their trousers?  Google, which knows everything, can describe it but is as baffled as we are on explaining why.  Even Billw’s cod book is mystified by that particular fashion absurdity.  In the Renaissance, humanity got way smarter, OK we get that, so before the Ren, we musta been collectively even dumber than we are now.  Oh mercy, is that even possible?

And if that isn’t bad enough, why cod in particular?  Why waste food like that, when we could use something otherwise disposed of, such as sea robin or sheepshead?

OK retract, I know why sheepshead are not used for that purpose:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sheepshead+teeth <https://www.google.com/search?q=sheepshead+teeth&ei=1S_TYMfTPMjJ-gSKgr3IBQ&oq=sheepshead+teeth&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAMyAggAMgIIADICCAAyAggAMgUIABCGAzIFCAAQhgMyBQgAEIYDMgUIABCGAzoHCAAQRxCwAzoFCC4QkwI6AgguOggILhDHARCvAUoECEEYAFCgGlivImD_JWgBcAJ4AIABYIgBpwSSAQE3mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesgBCMABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwiHkqyl563xAhXIpJ4KHQpBD1kQ4dUDCA4&uact=5>

Oh wait, did I say we?  Not we, they.  Those pre-Renaissance guys, the silly idiots back then, with their “codpieces.”  Heh, I would never ever do such a thing, wouldn’t even if I had lived back then.  A Renaissance man I am, totally.  I never do that pre-Ren stuff, no, never.

But cod is a perfectly acceptable food fish, or was at one time.  Now I will never touch the stuff because one can never know for sure… where that dude has been.  So why cod?  Why not something a bit more suited for that purpose, such as… eel?