[ExI] US, Russia and China seeking AI controlled weapons

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 09:37:01 UTC 2021

It has always seemed obvious to me that the military would want AI
controlled weaponry. If for no other reason than to defend against
possible enemies developing them first.

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56240785>
Quotes:
Biden urged to back AI weapons to counter China and Russia threats
Published 01 March 2021

The US and its allies should reject calls for a global ban on
AI-powered autonomous weapons systems, according to an official report
commissioned for the American President and Congress.
It says that artificial intelligence will "compress decision time
frames" and require military responses humans cannot make quickly
enough alone.
And it warns Russia and China would be unlikely to keep to any such treaty.

I expect we can look forward to AI controlled drones cruising over every city
and town watching for any laws being broken and disabling offenders to
await collection by patrol vans. We'll feel really safe then!

BillK