[ExI] SF books taught in college classes

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 22:05:06 UTC 2021

Before my retirement, I taught a course in SF&F. I structured the course
around weekly thematic topics, such as personhood, aliens, etc. Most weekly
reading assignments included a chapter from a novel as well as one more
short stories that fit the theme of the week. The class was very popular.

Here is a list of the assigned books. A couple of the books are short story
collections. I'm not listing here which stories from those collections were
assigned. The individual stories listed below were included in a special
ebook that was created for this course by a textbook publisher based on my
story requests. The publisher handled copyright issues and other matters,
which saved me a lot of time.

LITERATURE OF SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY English 328

Reading list for course taught by Prof. Michael LaTorra

NOVELS / STORY COLLECTIONS

"The Player of Games" by Iain M. Banks

"Accelerando" by Charles Stross

"Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett

"The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge"

"Borges: Collected Fictions" by Jorge Luis Borges

SHORT STORIES (not from the STORY COLLECTIONS above)

"The Perfect Man" by Lauren McLaughlin

"Reasons to Be Cheerful" by Greg Egan

"Learning to Be Me" by Greg Egan

"Oceanic" by Greg Egan

"—All You Zombies—" by Robert Heinlein

"Blood Music" by Greg Bear

"Guardian Angel" by Arthur C. Clarke

"The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke

"Light of Other Days" by Bob Shaw

"The Last Question" by Isaac Asimov

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 1:11 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <