[ExI] The first science fiction novel by a Nobel Prize in Literature winner?

Tom Nowell nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 00:33:17 UTC 2021

Giulio Prisco asked:
.Anyone before Lessing?
Well, the Kipling Society claim at http://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/rg_scifi.htm that Rudyard Kipling, 1907 Nobel Laureate, had a big influence on SF and wrote several SF stories.
George Bernard Shaw, 1925 Nobel Laureate, wrote "Back to Methuselah (A metabiological pentateuch)" in 1918 to 1920. It's a series of plays on the theme of longevity which I have never got around to reading so I can't tell you how transhumanist they are.
Bertrand Russell, famous philosopher and 1950 Nobel Laureate, wrote some fantasy and science fiction  - :  Satan in the Suburbs and Other Stories (1953), Nightmares of Eminent Persons and Other Stories (1954) and Fact and Fiction (1961). All were republished in The Collected Stories of Bertrand Russell (1972). Also, some of his philosophical writings contain elements of futurology.
So there are a few.
Tom