[ExI] oddity - learn to walk? nah

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 15:58:39 UTC 2021

I should not get any credit at all for saying that walking is innate.  That
is common.  Take a look at a criterion for a fixed action pattern:
Unlearned:  not only not learned, but cannot be undone.  For example, the
washing of food by raccoons is instinctive.  What happens if you give a
raccoon food that dissolves in water?  He takes it to the water and scrubs
it, whereupon it disappears.  He is getting punished for washing.  Will he
do it again?  Yes, over and over he will wash.  He cannot stop it and
punishment does not affect it.

So a fixed action pattern is a very special kind of innate behavior and
humans have only one that comes close to fitting. Walking.  For this I
should get some credit.  (I find the Slate article irrelevant to what I am
saying.)   bill w

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 6:19 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <