[ExI] SF books taught in college classes

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Thu Mar 4 17:35:43 UTC 2021

On 2021-3-04 09:09, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat wrote:
> There are a bunch of click languages — most in Africa (Khoisan family, I
> think) and a few outside (mainly in Australia, so probably going extinct
> if not already extinct). I seem to recall someone positing that click
> consonants are evolutionarily basal. In other words, that they’re among
> the first phonemes humans or human ancestors used. I’m not sure if this
> view holds sway in the field.

Hm.  Their speakers are extreme outliers on the great family tree.  So
humanity split early on into click-keepers, who settled in southern
Africa, and click-droppers, who spread throughout the world?

(Not counting some neighboring Bantu languages that also use clicks,
like Xhosa.  Perhaps their speakers are descended from clickers who were
absorbed by the Bantu expansion.)

The Australian click language is a ceremonial or "taboo" language, used
in special contexts and considered by linguists to be artificial, a bit
like pig latin.

(Attach "I've read somewhere" to every statement of fact here.)

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org