[ExI] Punctuation (was SF books taught in college classes)

Gabe Waggoner lostmyelectron+exi at protonmail.com
Thu Mar 4 19:06:14 UTC 2021

On 2021-3-03 21:53, Gabe Waggoner via extropy-chat wrote:
> (damn my inability to italicize in plain text)

That's why I use ?guillemets?.
Before Unicode was ubiquitious, I sometimes used <brokets>.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org

------------------------------

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 4:24 PM Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat
> On 2021-3-03 21:53, Gabe Waggoner via extropy-chat wrote:
> > (damn my inability to italicize in plain text)
>
> That's why I use ?guillemets?.
> Before Unicode was ubiquitious, I sometimes used <brokets>.

I use _underscore_.

Sidenote: There's a great book by David Crystal on the history of
punctuation: _Making a Point_. Maybe Bill W has read it or might place
it on his huge reading list. :) I should probably reread it since I
fancy myself a writer.

Regards,

Dan

---
Yes, indeed, all good alternatives. Many thanks, gents. I resorted to using the italics-impaired AP style and stuck to quotes for all titles, though that has always felt wrong to me in this age of digital publishing. Eh, after so many years editing copy, I'm bound to forever be dissatisfied.

Three more good books on punctuation (for which I'll forgo title punctuation for the sake of preserving what remains of my sanity):

The Chicago Guide to Grammar, Punctuation, and Spelling (Garner, 2016)

The Best Punctuation Book, Period (Casagrande, 2014)

Punctuate It Right! (Shaw, 1963 [dated, but still useful])

Gabe

--
Robert Gabriel (Gabe) Waggoner, MS, ELS
Science Writer–Editor