[ExI] clickety clack, was: SF books taught in college classes

Anton Sherwood bronto at pobox.com
Thu Mar 4 21:31:50 UTC 2021

Ah, I see I never sent the post that I started to write before looking
at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_consonant

On 2021-3-04 10:06, Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat wrote:
 > I believe the Khoisan languages have more than one click consonant
 > (I believe it’s two, but I forget).

In the International Phonetic Alphabet they were formerly written with
inverted letters (‹ʇ› was one) but these were later replaced with
characters that look like punctuation :(

 > I’ve heard folks in combat using clicks for communication at night,
 > etc. with metal clickers.

So they're not only for training dogs?  (How does that work anyway?)

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org