[ExI] crowdsourced crimefighters

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Mar 7 18:49:06 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, March 7, 2021 10:27 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] crowdsourced crimefighters

The bad news is that

if she injures herself while re-stealing your used cat-con, you are liable

>…My understanding from a Torts class in 1965 that you are liable to a thief only if you boobytrap something.  Just a car sitting there won't do, I think, unless torts' laws have changed…

BillW, you live in a sane state.  I do not.

>…I think there is something fishy here.  Surely some sort of gadget could be welded on to prevent those thefts.  Trashing a whole car?

bill w

Sure you can buy those anti-theft kits and have them installed, but they do require a welder if they are the ones not easily defeated.  So again the beleaguered Prius driver must hire a shop.  If you have an anti-theft kit installed, the thief might vandalize your car for interfering with her otherwise thriving business.

A few years ago, there was a big theft wave on BMW nostrils: those two decorative pieces up front there with the trademark vertical bars.  Thieves figured out how to steal those without lifting the hood on some models with only very minor damage to the stolen part and the car.

BMW nostroils cost about 600 bucks each if a prole insists on genuine BMW parts.  Plastic aftermarket lookalikes were a lot cheaper but the seller was obligated to reveal if the car had those, which is why there were so many ads for selling a 540 with one or two aftermarket nostrils.  BMW does not condone aftermarket parts and considers the design their intellectual property, so they referred to them as counterfeit nostrils.

That was back in the days when stealing a 600 dollar part was still a crime.