[ExI] herd immunity?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 18 16:29:09 UTC 2021

Early in the pandemic about a year ago, a British doctor was on the Beeb
spoke about herd immunity.  His overall message was kinda negative: that
humanity was unlikely to defeat covid by any other means than a lotta people
catching and surviving, resulting in eventual herd immunity.  They ripped
him a new one!  Nearly universal condemnation, and counter suggestions that
proper mask wearing and social distancing would suffice, but. over time he
is looking more and more right on, way back in March 2020.

I don't even know who that was, but if we look at those places which were
hit really hard, such as UK, USA, France, Italy, etc, those places are
seeing general declines in new case rates (and were even before the vaccine
became a major factor.)  In the USA for instance, the new case rate is below
20% of its early January peak.

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but it appears to me that some
places are seeing the impact of significant percentages of their populations
having been exposed and were either non-symptomatic or covid presented as an
ordinary flu.  If so, some places are already showing what looks to me like
herd immunity.  Hope so.