[ExI] so what's with the weird collars?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 19 14:32:15 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Tristan Linck via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] so what's with the weird collars?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021, 01:12 Anton Sherwood via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

On 2021-3-18 21:28, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:
> The whole round collar business is common in future vision…

Perhaps it's inspired by Elizabethan ruffs.

>…My working guess is that it is a visual echo of the attachment point for a space helmet, in keeping with the broader space-age esthetic of astronaut-inspired fashion…

That notion is entirely plausible.  The future ain’t what it used to be.  In the olden days, astronauts were considered futuristic, and many of us had the notion that we would be bouncing around on other planets in the future, which would always mean space helmets, which will always require those round rigid interfaces with the rest of the suit.

Well, OK that never happened and we now can reasonably extrapolate that it will not in the reasonably foreseeable, but look at the bright side.  The spandex yoga pants which brightened our day (certainly mine) didn’t just go out of style never to be seen again like bell bottoms, but are still with us a decade later.  Eventually it will occur to the fashionistas that since some people can really rock the spandex, they can make a spandex jumpsuit and some athletic young beauties will rock the top half as well.

On the other hand… this could be a bad thing.  Delightful sure, but forget productivity!  I will be hanging out in the park taking inventory rather than wasting time with some useful actual work.   Hmmmm…. OK, cool.  Back to the future!