[ExI] experiment

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 23 23:12:51 UTC 2021

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2021 11:14 AM
To: 'ExI chat list' <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: 'Cc:' <spike at rainier66.com>
Subject: experiment

>….Please suggest a caption for this image.  Some of you might recognize the image and already know where I found it.  If so, hold back, let the others participate in the experiment please.

>…Thanks!

spike

Adrian was the only one who commented online, but others posted me some stuff offlist.  As I suspected would happen, no one thought that figure projected a positive message or emotion.

The reason I found it most striking is that it is part of a logo for a high-end learning/tutoring company, Kumon:

It occurred to me that this might have made first place on the list of the worst advertising notions in history.  To me, that circle suggests a face, perhaps pondering such notions as “My parents who sent me here are deranged tyrants” or “Is my will to live sufficient to endure another day in this place?”

It just doesn’t seem like the kind of logo a teaching company would want.