[ExI] favor for a friend

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 25 12:58:05 UTC 2021

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] favor for a friend

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 10:24 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

True.  BUT DON”T DO IT!  Giovanni, don’t do it man.  It’s illegal!  Or if not, it’s highly unadvisable.

…

Some images are illegal, such as some types of pornography depicting minors for instance, and there are an infinite number of possible such images one would imagine, so all of those would be considered illegal, and all strings of bits, regardless of how long, will eventually be produced.  Therefore… that pi-calculating algorithm will eventually produce child pornography.

>…Merely generating the bits is insufficient to violate the law.  One must also isolate the bits, identifying them as a discrete thing.  So long as the bits are unknown in a string of data, they have no legal meaning - and thus, are not illegal in that state.

Of course.  But that is why I went on to talk about evil AI.  Your pi calculator generates one of those bastards, in there with the offensive images, starts sending them to your boss, you’re fired, now ya really have troubles, in addition to having spawned a self-replicating planet destroying monster.

Pi generators are not something to be trifled with, even if it requires adding a useless clause to avoid ending a sentence with a preposition.

However there is a benefit, for my son was running one last week for pi day.  As I was explaining it to him, he pointed out to me something that I have never heard in all my long life.  We are celebrating the wrong day.  March 14 isn’t really 3.1416… months, since it is only about 2.5 months.  Pi day should be around the 4th of April, if we interpret it as pi months.

But if you realize this and want to celebrate a second pi day, back away from that pi calculator.  Evil lurks in that path.