[ExI] Fwd: Pascal's wager

Ben ben at zaiboc.net
Tue May 4 16:40:11 UTC 2021

On 01/05/2021 23:04, Spike commented:
> Perhaps you know of Pascal’s Wager, where the philosopher (who
> discovered a whole buttload of cool math (and so is forever on my list
> of people who can do no wrong)) expounded on how humans make a
> win-draw bet on the existence of god.  If they choose to believe and
> are right, then good.  If they choose to believe and are wrong, then
> nothing happens, so what the “hell” difference does it make?  It’s a
> win-draw bet, ja?

Nein.

It's a non-starter, because first, which god do you choose to believe
in? Choosing the wrong one could be just as disastrous as choosing none,
if there were a god or gods. And considering how many gods we've
invented over the millennia (a LOT), the odds are overwhelmingly in
favour of choosing the wrong one.

Additionally, being a believer almost always comes along with
restrictive rules on how you should live your life, so depending on
which religion you bet on, you could lose a lot in the way of enjoyable,
educational and otherwise positive experiences, and gain a lot in the
way of miserable, guilty and fearful ones. Not to mention being an
active contributor to holding back human development generally (this
applies whether gods exist or not).

But I'm sure most of us on this list know this already.

--
Ben Zaiboc