[ExI] Pascal's wager

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Thu May 6 00:04:22 UTC 2021

Quoting Tara Maya:

> Message: 13
> Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 09:52:04 -0700
> From: Tara Maya <tara at taramayastales.com>
> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Pascal's wager
>
> The argument works better with unicorns. As far as I know, there are
> no downsides to believing in unicorns.

Despite his pious intentions, Pascal's wager is less about God or
unicorns than it is about the physical existence of mathematical
infinity. If mathematical infinities are physically real in the same
sense that real physical circles exist that correspond to mathematical
circles, then that opens a whole can of worms and anything that is is
at all possible like gods, unicorns, dragons, and fairies, as well as
unnamed things yet to be imagined, exist in some universe somewhere.
That being said, based on the lack of credible evidence, your odds of
living in the same universe as unicorns is vanishingly small.

Stuart LaForge