[ExI] Can philosophers produce scientific knowledge?

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sat May 8 04:43:57 UTC 2021

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 3:35 PM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

> What I don't get out of that quote by Gillis is whether the philosophers proceed to do the actual research their proposal suggests.   bill w

The quote is not by William Gillis. CHT means 'complimentary hat tip.'
I was merely acknowledging Gillis has brought the paper to my
attention.

The quote is of the abstract from the paper itself:

http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/18972/1/Pradeu-Lemoine-Khelfaoui-Gingras_Philosophy%20in%20Science_Online%20version.pdf

If you read it closely, you'll see that this is more a matter of
philosophers publishing works in science journals that are seen by
scientists as having contributed to advancing science. So, my guess
would be, No, they don't necessarily carry out the proposals. An
analogy might be like a theoretical physicist (like Higgs) proposing
something to look for (like the boson named after Higgs) and others
carry out the observations and experiments.

Regards,

Dan