[ExI] Can philosophers produce scientific knowledge?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Sat May 8 21:22:29 UTC 2021

On Sun, 9 May 2021 at 03:35, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> Hi Steve,
>
> On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 11:05 AM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <
>
>> The standing wave must have some ultimate effect on the output of the
>> system, i.e. on the muscles. If this is replicated on some other way, the
>> consciousness will also be replicated. So you would have to claim that it
>> is logically impossible to remove locate the effect of the standing wave
>> (or whatever it may be) on the muscles. Logical impossibility is a very
>> strong restriction, meaning that not even a miracle could do it.
>>

> The intrinsic quality of your knowledge of red is simply a fact about
> reality.  This quality must have some ultimate effect on the output of the
> system, otherwise it isn't knowledge represented by your particular
> intrinsic redness quality, and isn't qualitatively  like your conscious
> knowledge of redness, by definition.

The intrinsic quality of your red knowledge will be preserved if the output
of the system is preserved. Equivalently, the intrinsic quality of your red
knowledge cannot change unless the output of the system changes. You are
claiming that the output of the system cannot be replicated by any means
other than the original, not even if we allow miracles. It’s not a
scientifically testable claim.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou