[ExI] book: Entangled Life

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Thu May 13 17:58:11 UTC 2021

This book on fungi goes straight into the top ten books of any kind that I
have read in my life.  And it's a first book!

What medical marvels are under our feet?  Millions of species largely
unknown.

Too many things to include.  Just get the book.

One teaser:  DARPA has given a company a grant to develop mycelial barracks
which will decompose when unneeded  OK, one more for Spike:

Adding 1% extract of two species added to bees' sugar water reduced
deformed wing virus 80 fold; another fungus reduced levels of Lake sinai
virus nearly 90 fold; another fungus reduced it 45K fold  The antiviral
possibilities for bees and us are enormous.

Lamps, furniture from Evocative (400 tons a year), packaging materials
replacing plastics, fungi to eat plastics, kits to make snowboards and
furniture, fungi that live on radiation (first thing to come to life in
Chernobyl), and many many more.  Just stunning.

How smart?  A fungus encountered a bead of glyphosate.  It produced enzyme
after enzyme for a week until it hit on one that decomposed the
glyphosate.  Can live happily on used baby diapers and cigarette butts.
Most companies use vegetative waste.

Just get the damned book!    bill w