[ExI] Optical illusion tricks you into seeing different colors

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed May 19 17:07:32 UTC 2021

…> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

Subject: Re: [ExI] Optical illusion tricks you into seeing different colors

On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 9:48 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Wouldn’t it be cool to somehow create a device that could measure this?  A color can’t really be doing the exact same thing in every brain, ja?

>… unproductive discussions on the meaning of "qualia" (which is one of the reasons why I suggested ceasing use of that word)…

The concept of qualia is tricky and always has been.  The terminology is going to be as tricky as the concept.

Being an engineer and math guy, I like things that are stone cold objective.  I like it when steel and engineering meet to create a car that wins a race, which is why I like self-driving race cars even more: it takes the subjectiveness of the human brain out of the picture.  Cool!

In order to give me some idea (after all this time) what is qualia (or what ARE qualia? (is one qualia a qualium?)) we need some kind of objective instrument or device which somehow measures what a brain is doing.