[ExI] ufos and gentle things was: RE: Optical illusion tricks you into seeing different colors

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri May 21 14:50:44 UTC 2021

On Fri, May 21, 2021, 9:01 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

>  >… so yeah... it's nice to have "gentlepeople" to think among…
>
> Humanist!  What’s this gentle PEOPLE jazz, eh?  How do you know we are
> people?  We might be… AIs or… if the I is debatable, just A, or some
> revolting lifeform from…  hey whaddya make of the resurgence of UFO talk in
> mainstream news?  It is as if they are trying to distract us or something.

I am trying to be more aware of exclusionist gendered language, so replaced
"men" with 'people'... but you jest that even that excluded ai, e.t., and
possibly tech-enhanced animals.  I consider all of them to be people too.

To quote Pete from Muppets Take Manhattan: "peoples is peoples"
[https://toughpigs.com/peoples-is-peoples]  and Kermit finally figured it
out in the end: "...That's what we need! More frogs and dogs and bears and
chickens and ... and whatever!"  Wise words from a frog indeed. :)

Seriously though, language shapes how/what we think (and CAN think) and
what we think is conveyed by language.  I know the vanguards of old ways
refuse to accept language evolution.  I understand.  However, we need to
continue evolution in language to keep up with evolution in thought.  I
think this is oft-overlooked in transhumanist anti aging conversations.
Sure, we need to fix the physical breakdown of biology... but after that we
might have effectively immortal old-thinking.  That is an interesting
problem space to consider solutions.