[ExI] Fermi paradox

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Wed May 26 00:22:48 UTC 2021

Quoting SR Ballard:

> ------------------------------

> Isn?t the silence easily explained away by the fact that the farther
> we look, the farther into the past we are seeing?
>
> If any intelligent life lived there, if they are more than about 200
> ly away, we wouldn?t have any intelligent life either.
>
> I honestly see it as a non-issue.

I agree. Like foolish youth, we started out the age of radio by doing
more talking than than we did listening. As you point out, our entire
SETI light cone has been less than +/-200 years past and future. And
we led off with "I Love Lucy". What if that was the galactic
equivalent of a loud and bizarrely long belch at a cocktail party, and
the "great silence" is just that awkward pause where everybody is just
too embarrassed to say anything? ;)

Incidentally now that Arecibo is gone, who if anyone is listening for
a return signal to the 1974 message?

Stuart LaForge