[ExI] Google Is Developing a Hologram-Like 3D Video Conferencing Tool Called Project Starline

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 13:04:21 UTC 2021

"Surprisingly, Starline wasn’t conceived of during the pandemic as a
frenzied attempt to keep socially-distanced and locked-down humans
connected; as reported by *Wired*
<https://www.wired.com/story/google-project-starline/>, Google’s head of
augmented and virtual reality, Clay Bavor, said the project has been in
motion for over five years.

Bavor sees Starline as being in a different league than tools like Zoom. “I
know that the person I’m sitting across from is not checking his phone
during the meeting, and that’s nice,” he told *Wired*
<https://www.wired.com/story/google-project-starline/>. “But the crazy
thing is, I would wake up the next morning and have the memory of, ‘Oh, I
saw Steve yesterday.’ Not like, ‘I had a video call with Steve yesterday.’
And there’s just something different about how our memories are laid down.”

The imagery in Project Starline’s sample video does look impressively
realistic. However, the technology isn’t close to being ready for
widespread use; there are still glitches to be ironed out and improvements
to be made, not to mention a cost that’s undoubtedly prohibitively high
(details of cost haven’t been released)."

https://singularityhub.com/2021/05/20/google-is-developing-a-hologram-like-3d-video-conferencing-tool-called-project-starline/