[ExI] One CRISPR Treatment Lowered Cholesterol in Monkeys by 60 Percent

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 07:09:41 UTC 2021

"More than one in three American adults have high cholesterol
<https://www.cdc.gov/cholesterol/index.htm>, which can lead to serious
health problems like heart disease and stroke. The best remedies we have
right now are cholesterol-lowering drugs called statins
<https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/statins/art-20045772>,
a diet rich in vegetables and low in fat, and good old-fashioned exercise.
But in the future, there may be another way to reduce our cholesterol
levels.

A study <https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03534-y> published last
week in *Nature* described how a team of scientists from the University of
Pennsylvania and biotech company Verve Therapeutics
<https://www.vervetx.com/> used the gene editing tool CRISPR to lower LDL
cholesterol in monkeys by 60 percent in just one week. *And*, the monkeys’
cholesterol levels stayed low for over eight months after a single dose of
the treatment."

https://singularityhub.com/2021/05/26/one-crispr-treatment-lowered-cholesterol-in-monkeys-by-60-percent/